http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Friday, September 09, 2005

Crip Geek has a night out!

(Apolagies for the lack of posting - Start of term, and time spent catching up with friends)

On wednesday evening, my friends' band had a gig at a bar in Oxford, and I agreed to go (because they're bloody good). Being a) crippled and b) a geek, I don't get out that often, and indeed have never been to a gig before, so I was a bit nervous about the whole "no parents, no friends" thing - my two friends who were meant to go with me had other commitments, so I really would be going solo. Anyway, my dad drops me off outside and I go in. It's a very nice bar - well lit, comfy sofas, more like a cafe - but it's deserted. I see some stairs going down, and the barlady nods when I point at them. ("F*CK" I think). At the bottom of the stairs there is a big bald bouncer who is very enthusiastic and helpful and gets my money out for me.

I go in, and see a mass of people, most of whom I know, in a cosy low-cielinged red basement. My mate Ben is on the stage alone singing a really nice song, named after the band (Where I'm Calling From). Then someone hugs me (!) - it's Tom, we are WICF's biggest fans, and know nearly all the lyrics! I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all, so go and sit at the bar, where I see more friends (and would be girlfriend). The bouncer leaps past (literally) and excitedly tells me the tiger beers are only £1.30 - OMG someone thinks I'm 18+!

The music is fab - of course - and I dance and sing along - what a prat I must look. So all is cool. When WICF finish, I (yep me) organise for drinks to be bought by an 18 looking girl, and by one for Ben, which I drop (hehay). I get pissed on less than a bottle (w00t) and give the rest to Tom.

The next act is a blues guy (who sadly had no audience of his own). I go up top to get some fresh air, and guess what, I end up conselling my would-be gf (there is nothing going on here, just my wishful think) on her recent break up with possibly the stupidest guy I know. Such is life...

The headlining band, Jabberwok - psychadelic funk, are truely awesome, and are quite big in Oxford. However WICF managed to pull a bigger crowd. Wahoo, we rule.

I really like this venue, but it has stairs. I don't know what to think about this because it's a pain in the arse and illegal, but there never going to fit a lift in and I don't want to be a suing git and make them pay loadsa money. It's a lose-lose situation. Stairs suck. Advice please?

2 Comments:

Blogger The Goldfish said...

If they could never fit a lift of any kind in the building, they're not breaking the law because it would be not be "reasonable adjustments" to restructure the entire building.

Have a look around, is there anything about the layout that could happen fairly easily and would make your life easier?

If not, then I guess you've just got to accept it the way it is.

Glad you had a good night out Luke. I could use one of them myself just now.

2:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told you so, didnt I? I told you the social lifewill come! ha! nice one, dude. cool, innit?

apropos the stairs, I'm not sure, as it sounds like a liftt would ruin the ambiance of the place. I think you should look into getting a p.a to help you in such situations.

matt/frogbucket

8:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home